Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sacrifices

Lou Holtz - "You aren't going to find anybody that's going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance."


I'll come right out and say it- lately life's been hard for me.

With the career choice I've made, I've had to give up so much, and I find myself questioning my decision.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job and my career path itself.... but there are friends that I wish I still kept in touch with, people I've had to let go of in order to pursue my dreams, and maybe the worst of all, seeing everyone spend time with each other- having a great time- and I'm not there.

Some days it gets so hard swallowing the idea that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing...

[BUT]

I've come up with some ways to pursue through the tough times, and I want to share in case some one reading this is struggling with the same things.

1) In times like these it's good to have a place to go to pray and think--  Quiet time or "alone time with God" as my dad calls it.  Thinking, or even blogging/keeping a journal, I've found really helps me get my thoughts out.  Especially the negative ones.  Sometimes I think all it takes is writing a negative thought down just to get it out of your head.  Grab a sheet of paper, and before you go to sleep, write down your fears- this one helped me a ton.

2) You've got to be stubborn--  I'm a really stubborn person anyway, so lucky for me, this comes naturally.  But I'm talking about as far as eliminating the apprehensiveness or negativity.  Convince yourself that no matter what you've made the best decision for YOU (no one else).  Justify it any way you can in your head, even if it sounds crazy, and make yourself believe it.

3) Stay positive no matter what--  Having a positive state-of-mind starts you off on the right track.  Your mind begins to think in terms of "How can I overcome?" instead of "What if I can't overcome?"  Never let the idea of failure creep in your mind.  This is the one I struggle with the most... I completely understand that sometimes it can be hard to find the silver lining in a thunderstorm, but the point it to train your mind to try to see the good in everything.  Negativity might point out all the things you're missing out on, but being positive will highlight all the great things you've accomplished.

4) Find some kind of support group--  Most of us are blessed enough to have family that care, but I know there are some who, unfortunately, don't have that luxury.  My advice would be to make friends with people in the same career path as you, and use each other as a buffer to help with the problems that come with the territory.

5) Stay motivated--  This is something I'm fantastic at.  This is the main thing that keeps me going when I wake up every morning.  If what you're pursuing really is your life's passion, then you should wake up determined every morning- ready to hone your craft and ready to embrace the process that comes with honing your craft.  Setting tough but achievable goals.  Reading journals to increase your knowledge.  Reading motivational techniques.  ANYTHING.  When you're motivated to follow your dream, nothing else matters.

6) Put pictures in your mind--  With my goal of being a successful Director of Golf or Touring Professional, I'll sometimes create scenarios in my head and imagine myself in my successful position in the future.  For example, I can't tell you how many times I've imagined myself in a press conference after my first PGA Tour win.  I'll imagine exact questions reporters ask or imagine the sights and sounds of the building.  It sounds crazy and goofy, but I'm a firm believer that if I create vivid images of success in my mind, then it gets me more comfortable with the idea that I could be successful and that my goals are more attainable.  Try it- you'll be amazed and you'll know for sure the career you chose is worth it in the end.


God Bless,


-GP

No comments:

Post a Comment